Day 1 :: Starting a Vegan diet

Posted on | Monday, November 2, 2009 | 3 Comments

I don't know how long I'll be able to stick with it, but today is my first day as a vegan. Remember when Alicia was in town? Well, after reading her book, I decided to give it a go. I feel like I've always been talking about it with the hubby and others, but for some reason, I never took that leap myself. My dad, for health reasons, eats mostly grains and vegetables and eats minimal amounts of sugar and meat. At my old job, I felt like half the unit was vegan or some derivative. Everyone has their reasons, but for me, it's for better health. For the past couple years, I've been eating less and less meat and it wasn't for animals... I just stopped enjoying it. I got severe dehydration a few years ago after a hike and that night ate pork chops for dinner while in the throws of a migraine and nausea... after that I couldn't eat pork anymore. Slowly, I lost the appetite for beef.... and then chicken started to follow thereafter. I don't know why... it just happened.
So here goes... I'm cutting out meat, fish, dairy, eggs, processed sugars, coffee, and some other "nasty" foods (according to Alicia's book) and I'm going to assess how I feel in a month. The meat I can live without, but the thing I'll miss most is cheese, mainly in the form of pizza and in salads. So sad. I think that sometimes, I might give in a touch when I'm visiting family, but all the rest of the time... pretty much vegan. I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully, I can go a month, but I'm worried I might cave at the sight of good pizza, lemon cake, or a mocha. Oh! I should add that I hope that by blogging about it, I'll be more honest with myself.

Comments

3 Responses to “Day 1 :: Starting a Vegan diet”

  1. alissa
    November 2, 2009 at 7:36 PM

    ahh this is so funny! I was just writing a similar post about becoming vegetarian - so similar situation - just finished a book that convinced me! i actually considered vegan but im going to take it one step at a time (although i havent eaten any meat but chicken in over 17 years so its not that hard to give up haha)
    im excited youre blogging about it - im going to as well, so im looking forward to hearing your experience! maybe you'll convince me to go vegan as well:)

  2. ally
    November 3, 2009 at 7:49 AM

    I am not vegan or vegetarian, but have been trying to be more conscious of where my food is coming from and will hopefully find more sources for locally grown food, including beef or chicken. It has been difficult since I just moved here in the last year and a half.

    There are lots of interesting vegan cooking blogs that I have found throughout the years. If you'd like I can share a couple with you. Good luck on your adventure into a vegan diet!

  3. Unknown
    November 3, 2009 at 10:12 AM

    Hi Myra,

    i love your work and enjoy your blog -- and am a Portlander, but currently living in South India -- I really appreciate your efforts in vegan eating. I've been a vegetarian since I was a kid and went totally vegan for a year -- and it taught me MANY things about my body, expectations and what I thought I could and could not do. I'm now mostly vegan and continue to eat and cook all the new dishes I learned during the great vegan experiment. And, Portland is THE most rockin town for vegan delciousness!! Sweet Pea (bakery on Stark st. on East side) cupcakes are like crack. Ooh -- now I'm making myself a little homesick....
    I do a lot of vegan cooking on my blog -- Leelacyd.com, if you want some inspiration. You go, Myra! You're going to feel like superwoman.

Twigs & Honey products

Brand new! Myra Callan Bridal line

Purchase my new book through Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble

t&h_shop Photobucket

Some love

Portland Bride & Groom  Loves Us!

Search This Blog

Archives